Old June 15th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default ammonium chloride (sal ammoniac)

wrote in message
ups.com...
okay...i think that someone here told me how to 'make a block' from
ammonium chloride
crystals...

i can't find that information. would you be so kind as to tell me
again...about a pound of
the stuff is on its way...it's good to have friends in the chemistry
department of my former
place of employment...the Harvard of Turkey - (or as i like to call
it..the Turkey of Harvard)

thanks again.

arlene

Your friends there should have been able to order the block ?

Seems to me, very long time ago, different state of mind then,
we made a thick paste and put it in a part we had already, square shape
thing ,
you could do it with a tube and a dowel I would think. We used an "arbor
press", (we were on a farm with a small machine shop in the barn), filled
the hollow as much as we could and the pushed the "Ram" in forcing water
out and packing the stuff in rather tight. When we couldn't get any more
in, we let it dry, couple of days later it slid out of the form. Sometimes
it worked better than other times.

Your going to have to play with this one..use your imagination on how to
pack it into a form.

Small steel container, fill it up, put a board over the top and run over it
with your car, keep doing that until no more will go in. just a thought.