Old March 29th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

The 10x10 units would be composed of 3" unfinished squares, not pieced
blocks, just plain fabric squares. High contrast squares would be
better to represent the individual lives they represent. But each
contributor is free to choose to piece mini-blocks and choose colors.

I wanted to get help assembling the quilt to date. After that I can
hand sew an additional square if another fatality occurs. If, praying
that it doesn't happen.

I didn't anticipate writing names on each square, rather leave it up to
anyone contributing to writing anything they might wish on squares.
This could be names from your state or local.

I really didn't have any plans to add batting and a back. Perhaps this
could be done when our troops are all home safely.

There is no intention to politicize the war. Just a way to show people
what 2300+ looks like. They are our brothers, sisters, mother, fathers,
sons and daughters. They were real people with family and friends who
weep for them.

Yes, I have been against our invasion of Iraq from the first. But that
doesn't stop me from making quilts of valor for the men and women
wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan. I support the warriors 100%; I do not
support the war. I say this as some might think I have an ulterior
motive. No, I just cry with each new casualty report.

Please continue to post any questions or suggestions you may have about
this project. It will be a collective act of love and art.
--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross