Old March 29th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

I would be happy to participate but I have one awful suggestion. Since
we will probably finish the quilt before the troups are brought back
to US I suggest a quilt as you go technique to which squares could be
added as necessary. This is a very sad commentary on the situation but
otherwise how are you going to honor everyone. You could set the
number as those who had been killed as of the 2006 anniversary of the
start of the war. If the quilt has no borders and you use sashing
between your 10 by 10 squares, additional squares could be added each
year. I know you want this to honor those who have died and not be a
political statement but I can't see how you can do both.

I thank you for the number of Quilts of Valor you have made.

Susan Price

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:04:10 GMT, "Betsy Ross"
wrote:

I would like to assemble a quilt top with blocks representing all the
service men and women killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Unfortunately,
the death toll is now over 2300. So I would like to use machine piecing
to get near the current total. Each additional block would then be
added by hand.

The design of the quilt would be simple square blocks, 2.5" finished.
To facilitate assembly, blocks would be joined into units that were 10
blocks by 10 blocks for a total of 25.5 inches (unfinished). The
individual blocks and 10x10 units could be any color, with or without
inscriptions or signatures.

The quilt top could be made available for display if its safety can be
assured. (Once worked on a similar project that disappeared after being
borrowed.)

Would anyone like to participate in this effort? Looking for 23 people
to make one 10x10 unit.