Old December 20th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian Godwin

Default End-lit glass rod

David Billington wrote:
Adrian Godwin wrote:

What do you think ? Could I get such a rod to glow like a neon tube ?
Would I have to roughen the surface to get it to leak enough light ?

can buy sheet material a cut it to suit your needs. Might be worth
investigation, google on "electroluminescent sheet" or similar.

This stuff might do the trick http://www.glowire.com/

That was my first thought, but the sample I tried was disappointingly
dim. It was quite cheap, though - maybe good stuff is brighter.

Michele is right that I could easily waste as much mucking around with
different ideas as getting the right thing to start with, but I thought
I could mess around with rod & lamps myself : I don't have the expertise
for tubes or the kit for gas-filling, but I could probably bend a solid
rod at least well enough to test the idea out.

-adrian