Old February 6th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

Default OT; Sewing Room Art

On 2/6/2010 2:00 PM, John wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:38 pm, Juno wrote:
On 2/6/2010 12:45 PM, John wrote:

I have been searching for an gender appropriate piece of sewing
related art, that I could hang in my sewing room. Not surprisingly,
most of what I have found has women represented in the various tasks
related to sewing. Not many men are shown doing sewing things. I came
across this piece of artwork, online and immediately was taken with
it. Not only does it show a man doing sewing things, but it shows him
doing things that are usually done by men, although not exclusively of
course. It is called Tailor, and the artist is V. Ramos. I ordered it
online, and when it arrived, I matted it and made a Cherry frame and
just finished the completed work, and placed it on the wall. It is
very timely as I am about to start a new project of making myself a
custom fitted suit. I hope it gives me inspiration to delve into this
new and more challenging area of sewing. I think it will. Here is a
picture showing it hanging in place in my sewing room.
Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...81286093473986

John

Very nice, John.
I have some pictures in my sewing room that I found at a flea market.
They are from vintage McCall's sewing books. I love them. I find it fun
to have things like that in the room. Mine didn't get the grand
treatment you have given to your print, so they are nowhere near as
impressive.
Juno

There is a saying that is attributed to William Morris, the 19th
century Designer and artist and it goes like this, "Never have
anything around you that you do not think of as beautiful". I try to
live my life as closely to that principal as is possible. Note that he
did not say anything about spending lots of money to do that. He just
said "that you do not think of as beautiful. It really doesn't matter
where you got it or how much you paid for it, or if you did it your
self. You just need to think it is beautiful. That is the important
thing. If it inspires you, that is what is makes for a stimulating
environment.

John

I most certainly have to agree with that. There is some much beauty in
simple things, why not enjoy them. DH and I try to surround ourselves
with things we find beautiful and therefore comforting. I don't find
beauty in terms of what money can buy, but rather in what I enjoy. A
leaf, a shell, a child laughing.