Old October 9th 05, 10:52 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Katherine once at towards the end of one of our USA ?Canada I found myself
saying "A-Loom-in-um" and figured it was time I went Home !!! Here it is as
mentioned "Al -you -min-ee.um"

Our dear friend in Polson Montana had great difficulty in pronouncing it our
way and every visit would turn into a coaching lesson in Aussie english - he
was determined to master it but never did. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
Shillelagh wrote:
" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i"
in the word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there.
Aren't all our differences what make the world a more interesting
place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a
Canadian, I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also
pronouncing all the letters that are there, without the EE, which is
the non existant "i". Scratching my head. Can you help me
understand? (laugh)

SImple, Shelagh. We spell it differently in Canada from the way it is
spelled in the UK.

Katherine