Old March 26th 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Have you read _Straight_ by Dick Francis?

_Straight_
Dick Francis
copyright 1989

_Straight_ is the story of a steeplechase jockey who unexpectedly
finds himself managing a jewel business.

I enjoyed the story very much, and was impressed by the sudden death
-- the jockey's brother wasn't murdered, and didn't die in an
automobile crash. It's rare for a mystery writer to be aware that
there are more than two causes of death.

A week or so after reading it, I wondered: Francis is noted for
getting the world of horse-racing exactly right, but did he do the
same for the world of wholesale jewelry? Two semi-precious stone
dealers lead the acknowledgements page, but research is seldom enough.
I didn't sniff any lamp oil while I was reading, but I don't know
anything about beads and gems.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net