Old February 11th 04, 03:40 AM
DreamBeadr

Wow, I have so many issues I could bring up about this concept. =o)

First, I would like to comment that I am offended when people use the term Nazi
lightly. There is nothing even remotely similar to lampworkers and a Nazi.

Second, while I feel the concept of people placing a personal value on their
own work is a good one, determining an industry standard, just because you
happen to produce a product within a certain category, just won't work.
That would be like asking all beadweavers to charge at least X amount of
dollars per hour for their work. Their lives may be so busy that their hourly
worth is tremendous, but they may not yet have all the skills to produce a
quality piece of beadwork.

Third, I have been involved in the beading world for over 30 years now. I
started creating simple beaded pieces with my Grandmother at age 8. By age 12,
I was selling simple beaded jewelry to friends, at the beach and at small
craft shows. By 18 I was selling beads. By 25 I had an established retail
store.
While I am not the most experienced person in this industry, I am very
experienced. I have made it my life to learn as much about beads in all their
forms as I can. Along with that self-education comes a bit of understanding on
how the market (as it relates to beads and beading) works.
There will always be the person who feels they need to "undercut" the next guy
to stand out. There will always be the person who feels the "value" of their
time is worth more than the average market will bear. There will always be the
person who understands their worth, and is willing to work with the market
demand to find that happy medium.

That being said, there is such a tremendous influx of lampworkers at this time,
that the market will be thin. This is the progression of any industry. As the
market thins, your competition increases.
You can compensate for that by looking within ones self and determining what it
is you as an individual can do to change.
You can use your competition to better yourself. (which, I feel, is what
should always be done) This same set of standard rules of business apply to
any field. Beadmakers, beadsellers, beaders, etc.
Your service, your reputation, your style, your adaptability, your personal
input into the industry, all of these things are what can help set you apart
from your competition. This is what will raise the value of what you have to
offer. Not what others choose to sell for.
The value of the beads I sell are in direct relation to their quality, my
service, my reputation, and the volume I sell them in.
They are not, nor will they ever be, in relation to what others sell theirs
for.
I do however, work under a standard industry guideline. I do not intentionally
undercut others and I do not overprice.
Were I to make my own beads for sale, I would again follow along those same
guidelines. I would understand what the market can bear, I would learn where
and who my customers are, and I would supply them with what they want at the
prices they demand. If I were really lucky, I would be some of the very few
who know how to escalate themselves to the top of that imaginary list of the
best of the best.. =o)
If the online auction places are not bringing you the dollar amount you feel
you deserve, then find the location that will.
It works better to locate your customers rather than try to force yourself upon
them.

While the entire bead industry can and should be viewed as one big family, it
is the individuals within that family that make it what it is.

A think a revolution to help others learn to value themselves as artists,
craftspeople, creators, sellers, business people, etc would garner much more
worth.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com