Old November 26th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Single firing Done!

"Susie" wrote in message
The link works - thanks Donna. I do like your glazes, especially the
floating blue and the red one. It seems years ago that I tried making up
glazes and I don't think that I'm ever going to do it now. I don't know
what would happen, but could happen if you double dipped the rims of pots
in a different glaze, or ran round them with an oxide, provided that
things didn't flux too much. I remember doing this years ago when I went
to Saturday morning art school when I was around 16, not that I knew much
about the chemistry and complications. Longer ago that I am going to own
up to! I envy you working with glazes, but other than celadons I can't
think of a glaze that I might use working in fine detail. I always read
that reduction firings in an electric kiln really reduces life of
elements - is this still true?

I don't have the space for wheels and glazing. Do I make small things
because I have a small workroom? Look forward to seeing just how things
go for you from now on.

Susie

ps, who's the cat?
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!

The cat is Shamu, who insist on being exactly where he will be the most
trouble. He is a foster who has lived with us for a few years now (a feral
kitten who was only going to spend the weekend - I somehow never got around
to trying to find a home for him).

Yes, reduction is not going to be friendly to your electric kiln. I have
heard of people firing inside a sealed saggar in an election kiln for
reduction but I don't understand how. Supposedly you do get some reduction
in an electric kiln but it is never going to be enough to give the shino,
celadon, copper reds, etc. that you get in a gas or wood kiln. Celadon is
one of my favorite glazes and is one I'm going to try to fake in oxidation.
I don't have much hope.

There was a potter in NY who called herself the 'Closet Potter'. She
actually had her wheel in her closet. She did however glaze and fire
elsewhere I believe. I miss her site (I am told she gave up potting). What
I'm saying is that you can do wheel work in a very small space but I don't
know why you would want to give up time that could be spent on your
sculptures.

Speaking of which - How did you get the wonderful colors on your dragon
having a picnic on it's belly if you don't do glazing? I can't even imagine
having the fine motor control you must have.

Thanks for asking and your interest. I will be reporting as things move
along.

Donna