Old November 25th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Single firing Done!

"Susie" wrote in message
In message , DKat
writes
Well I unloaded the kiln and was amazed how many pots came out with such
few
flaws. One poor little pot was glazed and reglazed so many times that I
was
never planning on firing it, just playing with techique. It got stuck in
just on principle and came out one of the better pots. The pots that I
glazed bone dry came out just the same as if I had bisque fired them. I
glazed those pots last though and after I found from error which glazes
fit
the best. I still like the feel of glazing leather hard but most of those
pots had the glaze crack off the lip and/or the outside. The repair I
attempted on the lips worked but not on the outside - that either crawled
or
was too thin. I believe that I have to dampen the lip before glazing or
glaze when the pot is less dry - perhaps cover the lips. If glazing bone
dry had not been so successful I would be gungho to develop glazing
leather
hard. After many tries I never was able to put multiple layers of glaze
on.

Things I learned - You really have to be careful that the pot is as clean
as
you can make it before glazing. That little spec of clay left from
trimming
cannot be brushed off after firing, ruins the surface if glazed and become
nasty little barb. You really can put the pots right next to one another.
Brushing on the glaze does not leave the awful brush marks you imagine it
will. And I learned that I really like single firing.

Thanks all for the help offered. It made a difference.

Donna

I'm so glad that this has worked for you. Do you ever post any pics
yourself? I really would love to see just how they've turned out. All the
help from everyone really helped me when I needed it just now. I wonder
if the power of positive thought to the nth degree affects firings ;-)))

Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!

I've tried posting a couple of pictures. of a sampler. I don't know if this
link will work...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=...489903&.src=ph

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=...489903&.src=ph