Old November 22nd 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

Default Single firing Done!

Well done Donna

:-)

Steve
Bath
UK

"DKat" wrote in message
Well I unloaded the kiln and was amazed how many pots came out with such
few flaws. One poor little pot was glazed and reglazed so many times that
I was never planning on firing it, just playing with techique. It got
stuck in just on principle and came out one of the better pots. The pots
that I glazed bone dry came out just the same as if I had bisque fired
them. I glazed those pots last though and after I found from error which
glazes fit the best. I still like the feel of glazing leather hard but
most of those pots had the glaze crack off the lip and/or the outside.
The repair I attempted on the lips worked but not on the outside - that
either crawled or was too thin. I believe that I have to dampen the lip
before glazing or glaze when the pot is less dry - perhaps cover the lips.
If glazing bone dry had not been so successful I would be gungho to
develop glazing leather hard. After many tries I never was able to put
multiple layers of glaze on.

Things I learned - You really have to be careful that the pot is as clean
as you can make it before glazing. That little spec of clay left from
trimming cannot be brushed off after firing, ruins the surface if glazed
and become a nasty little barb. You really can put the pots right next to
one another. Brushing on the glaze does not leave the awful brush marks
you imagine it will. And I learned that I really like single firing.

Thanks all for the help offered. It made a difference.

Donna