Old March 9th 05, 04:00 PM
Randall Nortman

Default Knit Wool Outerwear

I've been thinking about knitting a coat or jacket, but I'm a little
worried about how well it would stand up to wet weather. I'm sure
that if I felted it it would be quite weather-resistant, but if I
leave it unfelted (like Sally Melville's Einstein coat, or
Zimmermann's Aran Coat), what will happen to it if I get caught in a
rain storm? Will it felt as I run for cover? Will it sag and
stretch, never returning to proper shape?

I also saw the recent discussion about ski sweaters here. Let's say
(just for the sake of argument, of course), that I'm a really awful
skier -- no wait, not me, let's say that a FRIEND of mine is a really
awful skier -- and let's say that I, er, I mean, that my FRIEND is
going to fall a lot when sking, and end up half buried in snow banks.
Would that be a good reason to wear a nylon shell, or will a good wool
sweater still do alright?

Thanks, as usual, for any advice...

--
Randall