Old November 28th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Default Socks

Juno wrote:

I started out with this yarn:
http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/S...c_Colors.shtml
and #2 needles. Now I'm using a worsted weight and # 4 needles. On my
next pair I'll probably try #3 needles.Someday I hope to go back to
the original yarn and see what I can do with bit. I'm getting my
knitting feel back and feel more comfortable with them every time I
pick up my project to work on it.

Okay, the woman at the store didn't give you bad advice. My first socks
were knit on similar yarn on size 0 (2-mm) needles. The thing is that
the finer yarns and needles are used if you plan on wearing the socks
with shoes. Worsted-weight socks generally are too thick to wear with
shoes - there are exceptions, but I did say "generally" - but are fine
for wearing as slippers. It appears that you're more comfortable working
with thicker yarns and larger needles right now, and that's fine, but
remember that the finer yarns and needles exist for a reason. I can't
wear my thicker socks with any of my shoes, and I have a pretty narrow
foot for the size I wear. My shoes are all pretty loose on me, but
socks made with anything thicker than fingering-weight sock yarn don't
fit.

That said, enjoy your first socks. This could be the beginning of a
life-long obsession :-)

The Other Kim
kimmeratsoylentgreenfielddotcom