Old October 28th 05, 07:18 PM
Arondelle

Default Q: Greasy Glass

Laura Dawson wrote:
Is the hazy bloom like a sweat? Can you wipe it off?
My mom has a glass paperweight that when it's confined in her curio
cabinet it develops a hazy sweat, it doesn't run off like when you have
a cold drink on a hot day but you can wipe it off and it has a vinegar
smell to it. I have been looking on the internet to see why this
happens but haven't found anything on it yet.

The bloom looks like the white stuff you get on chocolate if you leave
it in the fridge too long, or on grapes. It wipes off, or washes off,
but it's back just a short while after it's dried. It has no odor that I
can detect. The bowl doesn't appear to be coated except for a rim of
fired-on gold.

(I also have a "greasy" paperweight with a vinegary smell, but it
otherwise has no "bloom" (except for the perpetual coating of dust) and
it doesn't sweat)

I'll have a go at giving the bowl a vinegar bath, and get back to you.
If it doesn't help, I'm just going to toss it. Life's too short to be
monkeying around with funky-looking bowls.

Arondelle
--
"Supermodels. Hah! Nothing 'super' about them - spoiled, stupid little
stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves.

"Feh! I used to design for GODS!"

Edna Mode: "The Incredibles"