Old August 23rd 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Default Glass grinders.

Chemo the Clown wrote in news:0ec6a2f8-7189-4ef8-be44-
:

[snipped due to badly-wrapped text]

Foil WILL stick better to a slight rougher surface than a smooth
surface. The adhesive on the foil gets embedded into the "rougher"
surface and does provide a better grab.

OK, that makes sense, given what I know about adhesives in general.

However, our resident King
Troll Dennis is correct in that the foil is only a platform for the
solder to ahere to.

Right - and when the solder hardens, it provides some support (in addition to
the frame). I also bought some "strengthener" (stripping that's heavier than
foil, and goes in-between the foiled pieces).

Tiffany used bees wax to make his foil stick. If
you doing mostly copper foil work, don't spend the money on a wet
belt. A Glastar grinder will do just fine.

I bought a Gryphon grinder at a good price - it's fine for what I'm doing so
far; I'm doing this small-scale, so I can't afford anything too expensive.

Thanks for the info, tho'!

- Kris