Old January 26th 11, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
noman

Default Thank you the jewelry group

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:37:05 -0800, Peter W. Rowe
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:26:51 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Goat Boy Baaaaaaa!"
wrote:

Yeah, only geeks mess with usenet.

And even that gets harder, since with windows 7, finding software that will do
it means using software that is more and more outdated.

I don't have Windows 7...yet...but this PC is running XP-Pro x64 using
Agent 2.0 and it works.

Why don't you set it up to moderate itself?
You know, like alt.hackers?

To do that, for one thing, would be to assume posters would know how, since for
alt.hackers, last I checked, posters had to know how to bypass the moderation
scheme.

You could just poast instructions in a FAQ every so often or let the
faithful do it.

That is'nt so much any special setup for the group, as it is a change
in the moderation policy to make such auto-approval allowed. The group as it
is now, along with many other moderated groups, is not hard to bypass if one
knows which headers to modify and how, but most usual jewelry group posters
don't have their email or news readers set up to make this possible. So it's
simple for me, but would pretty much kill any remaining posters ability to post.

It's not that difficult with the right software.

The other way to do it, would be to set up a web site based moderation scheme
which could make it self moderating, (usually simply a method to block obvious
spam and not much more) but doing that means someone, like me, would then have
to not only set up the web site and code, but pay for the site as well. I'm not
interested in doing that.

I'll give you space on my server. You'd just have to pay for the
domain name ($20 a year including whois privacy.)
I won't build the site for you but I will give you a FTP.

You could tell people about mail-to-news gateways and have 'em post
via email and read on Google Froups. (But filling in a header is sure
easier)

What I AM interested in doing is finding another moderator. I've done it now
for 15 years. Enough already. Either someone who just wants the "honor" of
moderating a mostly dead group, or who could take it and somehow build upon it,
such as linking it to some useful web site.

That's the thing, man. The future of the internets is http.
This old way is, well, old.