Old April 29th 09, 06:31 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Square Peg[_2_]

Default Need fabric recommendation for lawn targets

I would like to make several targets for practicing golf shots. These
would be circles of various sizes from from about a 1-yard radius up
to a 5-yard radius -- possibly a bit larger.

I have been using rope, which works fairly well, but it's difficult to
lay out the rope in a nice circle and keep it that way. It occurred to
me that if I could make circles out of some heavy fabric like a
canvas, it might retain the circle shape a little better.

My plan is be to get a piece of fabric, cut the fabric into arcs of
the correct radius, then sew then together into a circle.

I would appreciate comments or suggestions on:

1. What's the best fabric to get? My first thought was canvas. There
is a canvas shop near here that makes tents and awnings. I was in
there several years ago. They have lots of canvas. I plan to go ask
them what they recommend. Is there another fabric I should consider?

2. Will my wife's sewing machine handle the canvas?

3. What's the best way to connect the arcs? I was just going to
overlap them about an inch and sew along both edges, maybe using a
zig-zag stitch that goes over the edge.

4. How do I finish the edges? Do I fold the edge over and sew it down
or sew to edge tape (bias tape?)?

5. How wide whould the strips be? I was thinking 2-3" for the smaller
circles and maybe 1" wider for each yard of radius.

Anything else I should know about or think about?

Thanks