Old November 29th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

Default OT Turkey Alert!

i'm always amazed at what some folks dont do with what they have at hand.
gobble gobble, literally, lol.
j.

"Pauline" wrote...
Last year, DH & I celebrated Thanksgiving with one of his cousin's
daughter's family - they live very close to us. I totally forgot that at
the end of the evening last year, the husband walked outside to the garbage
with the stripped turkey carcass in a plastic bag. He was placing it in the
outdoor garbage. DH & I talked about it on the way home - we couldn't
believe he wasn't going to make soup out of it. So - last night, John is
headed out the door with the turkey carcass in a plastic bag - I said,
wait - is that the turkey carcass. He said yes - - - I said, are you
throwing it away - - - yes, he says - - - do you want it. YES!! So into
the refrigerator it went for me to take home. Two minutes later, he is
headed out the back door with a huge bag of garbage. He stopped, looked at
me & said - Do you want the recyclables?? I'll never live it down, but, in
my big soup pot, I have turkey soup/stew almost ready for tonight's dinner!
My husband calls it gruel, because I put lots of veggies in it & one scant
cup of rice & it ends up more stew like, than soup like.

Can't wait till next year's turkey carcass

Pauline
Northern California

"Debra" wrote...
A lack of bones is no excuse for not making soup. I just made turkey
soup for the first time in my life and just used left over turkey meat
that had been frozen in some chicken broth and the turkey pan
drippings. It was the most awesome soup I've ever made.

I added mixed veggies, some herbs, and chicken stock, and that was
about it.

I'm cooking my bone in turkey breast in the morning. It only takes
about 2 hours and will feed the two of us for a week. I doesn't get
much better than that!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb