Old October 15th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default My niece wants to learn...

You and your neice might like to try Manx quilting. The
instructions are posted at -
http://tinyurl.com/y43699

It used to be the task of the young girls in Manx households
to make the blocks for quilts. This was how they learned to
sew.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Mary Anna" wrote in message
: My 9 year old niece spent the night with us last night,
and asked me what I
: was doing while I was sewing some squares together. I told
her that I was
: learning how to make quilts and she immediately asked "Can
you teach me
: how?" Well, of course I was happy to do that!
:
: I wasn't sure if she'd like it or not, but after she sewed
her first few
: squares together, she informed me that she will be
spending more time with
: me so that we can learn together and make a quilt! I
thought that was
: great, lol! I took photos of some of what we did if anyone
wants to take a
: look and let us know how we are doing. The one that looks
sort of like
: watercolor paints is my niece's handiwork, and the one
with the hearts is
: mine. We've been taking a back stitch at the beginning and
end of the
: sewing line and also one or two in the middle to help
anchor the thread. Is
: that the correct thing to do?
:
: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...54831664fPBNVI
:
: Not great stitches for either one of us, but hey, we're
just learning! I
: was pretty impressed with Katybug's (ny nickname for her,
lol!) first
: attempts. I think if she sticks with it, she'll do very
well. I hope she
: does; it would be so wonderful if we could actually
complete a quilt
: together. She seem really excited by the idea. I'm
planning on it being
: just a smaller patchwork quilt; I don't want to overwhelm
her to start off.
:
: --
: Mary Anna in NY