Old June 9th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Other newbie questions :)

According to the owner at my LNS, if you are using the blending
filament alone, i.e., 2 strands of it without any other threads, then
yes, you can substitute a fine Kreinik braid. I only wish I had known
of it before starting on this MarBek angel for my daughter. Takes
longer to thread the needle with 2 strands of filament than it does to
stitch the section! If I wasn't more than halfway through the filament
part, I would have frogged and redone it in the braid. I don't use the
DMC metallics, so I can't help with that.

Carolyn

Tracey wrote:
To paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd, I've been makin' some plans for later on
this year :P and I have a few questions. First, some details on my
plans. (Oh, yeah, this is all crosstitch with maybe a few other
stitches thrown in.)

I have projects that I have designated as Christmas presents. Most are
regular, simple (i.e., no beads, bells or whistles) projects suitable
for framing (and I will frame them even though I will be nervous about
whether they will make it through the shipping/mailing process with
intact glass.) I plan on using Aida cloth and DMC floss for the most
part.

First question. Is it required to prewash floss before use? At least
for items that are meant to be framed with glass? I understand that
if I were to make a pillow or another item that has a higher chance
of getting dirty that prewashing will probably be recommended but
I'm not sure if the prewashing is warranted for framed/glassed in
projects.

Second question. So far, I've only done prepackaged kits and I'm
NOT thrilled at all with the gold metallic threads that come with
those kits. I don't like working with them, I don't like the way
they bunch up and twist and, even though I think I work with
pretty short lengths, they still sometimes fray. I haven't found a
store here yet that carries the Kreinik line but would the thinner
braids be a suitable substitute for the metallic threads? Or (and
this would be better, for me at least, since I have already found
sources for these) are the problems I've been having not found with
DMC metallic flosses?

Third question. Right now, I have two scroll frames. The exact
dimensions, I forget, but the smaller one holds the fabric for
a project that fits an 8X10 frame just perfectly, no scrolling
required. The other is bigger and will hold the fabric for a
project that fits in an 11X14 frame but scrolling is required.
I have a little nest configured on my couch for when I'm doing
a project. It's a wraparound couch, so I have plenty of pillows
to support my body and even a couple of pillows to support my
left arm (the one I use to hold the frame.) While I probably
won't invest in any expensive free-standing frames until I find
out if this is one of my 'here today, gone in six months' hobbies,
is there any other type of frame that is recommended? I've seen
lap frames, I guess you would call them, advertised for 30-40
dollars but can't really see how they're 'lap frames' with
straight bars across the bottom. Seems they would hurt. :P

TIA
Tracey