Old February 11th 04, 10:20 PM
Christina Peterson

...."Some people don't know how to start..........."

This is something that should have been addressed. And by the way, Kandice
is my role model for how to sell on eBay. The difference between selling
wholesale (and for wholesale prices) and selling on eBay is the element of
retailing. A lot of the retailing costs are much lower because eBay
provides much of the advertising and acts as a storefront, without the rent.

But the other elements of retailing are there. You have to educate your
customers. You have to explain why your product is better, you have to show
why it's better, and you have to deliver what you claim and have a
consistant product.

Consistant product means you NEVER sell anything but your best, unless you
clearly state that they are seconds, even telling people why they are
seconds. Admitting that "pairs aren't quite the same size ot that the
colors are somewhat muddy, etc. If a lampworker doesn't let the customer
know that they, the artist, know that the color is mudy or the shape is off,
then I as a customer will assume that the bead maker doesn't know good from
bad, or is trying to get top price for an inferior (from their usual, eg)
bead.

And you have to show that your beads are worth your asking price. Over the
net, that means photographic quality that is near professional. If you
aren't that good at photography, have someone else do it, or anticipate
lower prices. My photographics skills, or rather my lack of them, is one
reason why I am selling wholesale.

And you have to take the time to write good copy. That's part of the job of
marketting. You can ask for whatever price you want, but getting that price
depends on marketing. Depends on working at marketing.

One reason that eBay can't command the prices a store front does is that, no
matter what(!), you are always taking a chance on eBay. I might get a bead
and see something on the back that is either better or less good than I had
expected. I might get a bead that is wonderful, but have much more purple
or cobalt in it than it seemed to have in it's photo -- so that it's just as
wonderful as I thought, but not as personally pleasing, and not what I
wanted to spend that much money on (you notice I am not saying it is not
worth the price, but perhaps not worth it to me).

You can't really talk about pricing without talking about selling.

Tina

"meijhana" wrote ...

................... But also, some people don't know how to start, or how

find out the information. Sometimes it's "laziness" (i.e. let eBay sell

the
item for me. If I put it on there, it should automatically sell with
5million bids). I think part of this is not just "let's set prices" but

the
education, also. It's not just support of "aww, poor baby, you aren't
getting your prices, but you need to raise them". But support should also
be sharing of hints and help. But not specifically "Here's the formula

for
selling your items and making a million like I do". I agree with most
people when someone comes on here, and says "how do I sell, and where?".
There should be some research, and also, each area is different. But
guiding, and hinting is good. And there *are* "here's the formula" sites
out there! :-)