Old February 3rd 04, 04:40 AM
CMM PDX2

Allegra wrote:

does anybody know how to make a homemade loom in order
to make south american type fabric used in hammocks??

Do you have a link to a website where we could see a detailed picture of
someone weaving a hammock to see what kind of loom it is? Or can you describe
one? What do they look like? How big are they? I have *no* idea how they weave
South American hammocks.

I just did a brief Google on them, and the one picture I found showing a loom
looked a lot more like a Navajo rug loom than the more familiar SA backstrap
loom. However, the weaver wasn't weaving vertically, as on the Navajo loom, but
horizontally, from the looks of it - as near as I could tell. I could be
totally wrong, as I know zip about South American hammocks and their method of
construction. And I've never seen a loom exactly like the one shown; when I
think SA looms, I think of backstrap looms. Unless we've got someone on the
group who knows about SA hammocks, we'll need more info before we can give much
help, so any clues would give us a start.

For what it's worth, if a hammock loom is more or less a rectangular frame loom
like a Navajo rug loom, you should be able to find several books with plans for
Navajo looms. I've seen at least two in the past, and I'm sure by now there are
several more. Probably could find plans on the web, too. Then all you'd need to
do is adapt it for your hammock loom. Another thought, you might check with any
universities you can find that have courses dealing with South American
textiles and culture, and see if they have info on construction of the looms
used in making them. Or an actual loom you could get pictures of, or something
like any articles they've published on them. You never know!

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html