Old July 2nd 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default Can not use a thimble?

Thank you, Pati. My fingertips are rather square and most thimbles taper
where mine do not. The silicon ones might be flexible enough to work for
me. Are they hard to find? Polly

"Pati C." wrote in message
I love my soft, flexible thimbles. I think they are silicon but feel sort
of rubbery. Got used to wearing a thimble when working in a men's
alterations tailor shop.... it was a necessity. VBG But I rust metal
thimbles out from the inside. I was afraid the "rubber" thimbles would
make my finger even hotter/sweatier but they don't. There are small ridges
around the inside that help with air circulation. And they are very light
weight. G

Pati, in Phx

Polly Esther wrote:
I'm pleased to report that I have finished well more than 400" of binding
with nary a need for a pint of blood or sympathy card. The heavy
first-aid tape worked fairly well. It seems as if I've seen some talk
about flexible thimbles made of that stuff like the newest (if not
greatest) cake and muffin pan composition. Anyone had success with
these? Polly

"ME-Judy" wrote in message
I keep my leather "sticky pad" on the (plastic) part of my thread
scissors - just above where the blades are. Works great & they last a
long time.
ME-Judy

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Have you never tried the little sticky back pads made specifically
for this purpose? I have acrylic nails and can't use a thimble either
but the little sticky pads work a treat!! Nice round suede ones are
available but they are a tad $$$ (compared to the plastic ones) so I
often use the heavy clear plastic oval ones instead. :-). AND when
you take the little pad off, you can use it over again several times if
you are careful and stick it back on the paper it came with. That
makes it even better and REALLY worth the $$$ spent --
frugal is GOOD LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary