Old July 1st 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default Can not use a thimble?

I've tried everything that's been offered as a thimble. Silver, brass,
open, closed, rimmed, ultrasuede, leather. Everything.
Today I've found something for those of us whose fingers need some
protection and nothing works - or we absentmindedly slip past the thimbled
finger and puncture another one.
I knew I was going to be a dismal mess if I didn't find a solution while
putting the binding on my sweetheart's quilt. Decided to try just one more
thing. I snipped some sort of ½" squares of Johnson-Johnson Heavy-Duty
Waterproof FirstAid tape and stacked them on the pad of my 'push' finger.
Then, I secured them with one wrap of tape ending on top of the fingernail.
Viola! Voila! yesssss. All of that. It works, it works.
My first attempt was not so great. I had the edges of the wrap on the
pad of my finger and it stuck to every thread that passed by. On top of
your nail is where the tape seam needs to be.
After about 7 hours of blind-stitching with nary a puncture, I removed
the tape. My fingerprint remains unblemished. The FBI will be glad of that.
If you have been defeated by thimbles, try the tape. Buy some now before it
is marketed as Quilter's Tape and sells for $20 per inch. It could happen.
Happy Polly