Old September 20th 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Default rolling mill questions

Abrasha wrote:
ted frater wrote:

Well its time to run some tests.
I suggest Abrasha gets some 1/4in dia copper rod, say 12 in long. Ill
do the same and well stand or fall by our results.
Ill roll the rod down to say 30./1000th/in and measure how wide it
becomes.. Abrasha does the same.
I wont cheat!! what ever comes out ill write it down!! for all to see.
Now Abrasha, are you prepared to stand by results or not? like i am?
ted frater

I have better things to do, than to prove something to a guy who doesn't know
the difference between 1.2 mm and 1/4".

OK folks,
Here are the results.
Let the professional craftsfolk here and more importantly potential
customers draw their own conclusions who writes the most bull/s.

1/4in pure copper rod 5&3/4in long fully annealed rolled to 30/1000 in
thick went to 29in long.
width went from .25in to .30in.
thats a 50/1000in increase. 50/1000 in into .25in is a 20% increase
in width.

then I took a .50in wide by 3/16ths in thick by 6 &1/4in long copper
strip fully annealed.
This went to 32in at 30/1000in thick
and went from .5in to .553in wide.
I make that a 10%increase in width to all intents and purposes as
makes no odds..

so my experience of 2in wide is about right. when previously I said
a width increase of 2 to 4% depending on material.

This test:-
Annealing time 10 mins total
rolling time 10 mins total.
Writing time and measuring 30 mins.