Old November 19th 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie

Default Attention Steve Mills (and other singel fire players) Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

In message , DKat
writes
I had no idea that anyone still used lead glazes (though I have heard of
frits that supposedly encapsulate it and cadmium successfully).

I do use commercially prepared lead glazes. Years ago I had a
discussion about them with our local Trading Standards. The conclusion
was that no body is going to put food anywhere near anything I make.
Dragons' wings soup bowls - I don't think so ;-)) I don't make
anything that in any way can be called functional. However, at the time
some of the tableware being used in Chinese restaurants had glazes
containing lead, which failed the lead release tests. I'm just very
careful when and how I use the lead. My main reason for still using it
is the brilliance of colour responses.

I use a tin white for the porcelain as well. I haven't been through
college and don't know a thing about glaze chemistry. It's like buying
a cake mix to me. Off the shelf, follow the instructions, cook to the
recommended temperature. Et voila!

Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!