Old February 28th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Default Continental Style knitting

L wrote:
I KNOW 'continental style' knitting (where the yarn is held in the left
hand, as in crochet) is faster than 'American style' (where you hold the
yarn in your right hand and 'throw' it over the needle). I've seen the
video's.

The videos are misleading. I don't make such large movements with my
right hand, it barely leaves the needle. And the fastest knitter knits
English style.

But, oh, the learning!

With a niece and a nephew each expecting an addition to their families,
I figured a baby blanket would be the perfect way to learn this new (to
me) method. I chose one that was primarily garter stitch (re-learn one
stitch at a time!). I find it much slower than my 'throw' method because
the movements are new. And, each time I pick it up, I find myself
'reverting' to my old method out of habit!

So, I will try and persevere, because I have so many knitted projects in
my head right now I could certainly use a faster way to knit.

Check youtube for different ways `throwers' knit; you'll find that many
of them don't throw. Here's a few to get you started, the first one is
similar to how I knit, and also read the comments -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCO8qALs4-w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xSRqavicgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeTmm_EwZq0

sue