Old July 1st 03, 08:48 PM
Ron Anderson

Sounds to me like your asking it to do to much. That machine is not meant to
use "Upholstery thread"

--
Ron Anderson
A1 Sewing Machine
"L. Kelly" wrote in message
a...

"Lewis Campbell" wrote in message
om...
| Hi, I recently came into possession of a Singer Stylist 416 sewing
| machine and, being a dumb old guy, I'm having trouble getting it to do
| what I want.
|
| Is it possible that you could give me a link to a really clear photo,
| or illustration, of how the thread fits through the tensioner and also
| how the thread from the bobbin fits through its tensioner?
|
| My project is a denim work apron and, with triple thickness material,
| I can only get about 2" of good seam before my thread begins to ravel
| at the point where it goes into my needle.
|
| The needle is a new #18 and the thread is 'upholstery'.
|
| Any help will be appreciated.
|
| Lewis.
|
| ********************************

This sounds more like a needle problem than a tension problem. The fact

that you are able
to get a 2" stretch of good seam tells me that the tension is fine.

Try changing to a "jeans" needle or maybe even a leather needle. Both are

made for heavy
weight fabrics and won't cut or fray the thread where the needle enters

the fabric. Both
needle's point will separate the fibres before penetrating. Either type

should help
eliminate your fraying problem.
--
Hugs,