Old May 2nd 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha[_4_]

Default *Ping* Barbara, Sarajane, anybody? about bakeability

No kidding, I joined a Yahoo group last year and it has zero activity. I'll
try again. I also tried PCC once or twice and nobody was there. Will try
again. Thanks for the tips. I actually got some plaster today. Great minds
think alike

Martha

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
hey Martha..

What I'd try is to duct-tape the eyes and plug the nose and make a plaster
mold out of the face. Cover it with foil for baking and you'd be good to
go. You could try sacrificing the extra mask, but I suspect that it won't
survive the oven. It just doesn't seem to be the right kind of plastic
(I've got one from Michaels).

Let us know how it works for you!

(as far as other groups go, there's also Polymer Clay Central, Polymer
Project, and several groups on Yahoo!. I still check in here, though,
every coupla days. Habits are hard to break, eh?

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Habitué

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com
http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Martha wrote:
Hi, can't believe the spam lately. Anybody want to start a Google or
Yahoo group? I hate moderated groups but this is ridiculous!

Anyway, here's my question. I want to do some almost full-sized faces.
The only thing I could find at a retail art store was a plastic face
form. Here it is: http://www.dickblick.com/zz609/59/ I need it in this
form, not reverse. It is hollow so I technically could make a mold using
the inside.

The online version of this store has a papier mache and a pulp version of
masks which I assume are bakeable. I'd obviously prefer to use the
plastic one I've got but I'm not sure it'll survive oven temps. So my
questions a do you think this is bakeable (I bought two so I suppose I
could experiment), and if not, other than trying to form an aluminum foil
form from the back, is there another material that I could fill the back
from, like liquid latex or something? I don't know what kind of temps
that stands up to. I suppose I could fill in the back with clay and a
foil armature too. Opinions please. TIA!

Martha S.