Old December 16th 03, 12:47 PM

As always - thank you.
S.
"annemarie" wrote in message

wrote in message
.. .
Hello - I'm sure this question's been asked a billion times on this
newsgroup, but I just blew up half my kiln-load of Christmas presents

and
am
in a bit of a bind. I'm guessing a couple large (14") bowls still had

some
moisture in the bases. So, with ten days left, any suggestions on how

quickly and safely get my pots bone-dry for a firing? ie. put it in

your
oven at 375, put it in the kiln at low, hairdryer, fan, etc.?!

Shouldn't
have rushed it in the first place, but I thought they were dry. Ah

well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Simon

You cannot hurry anything with additions, like handles or spouts. An
ordinary bowl with a turned foot though should be fine.
I have hurried things along by putting work like this in the kiln at about
50C and leaving it for several hours just chugging along at 50, I check it
regularly and wipe any excess moisture that forms on the surface off. I
have done this to even get bowls dry enough to turn to no ill effects. It
does depend on your clay though.
If I am a little unsure that something is completely dry I load the kiln

the
day before the firing, heat it slowly to 100C to 150C then turn it off and
leave the door closed.
Any residue moisture should dry out over night and then you fire the kiln
the next day.
Annemarie