Old September 2nd 17, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default A Finish!

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 19:53:31 -0700 (PDT), Violet Stitches
wrote:

Loved seeing the pics...thanks for posting them. I like how your great g-ma's sampler is clearly designed by a young girl who chose her own colors. You just don't see stuff like that done anymore, as most people use patterns these days. It had a really nice "character" to it.

All the samplers are lovely, but I particularly like the white on white one...is that hardanger? It looks a little different than the hardanger I'm used to seeing, so maybe it's something else, but I love all the interesting stitches on that one.

It was a drawn thread sampler, so it included hardanger (with the cut
out threads) It seems to me someone was giving a course for a few
weeks and that was the product.

Can you believe I've been stitching for over 30 years and I've never done a band-type sampler like the ones you've shown? I need to get one ASAP!

Lol, we had a craze for them back then but in reality they were the
way young girls learned their stitching for the future, historically
they are quite interesting to read about, for sure there would be
books about them on amazon or ebay.

A fun side note: I've found a new project for fall (imagine that, something new to start). It's called A Wicked Plant by Barbara Ana Designs, and I'll be stitching it on some hand-dyed orange fabric. See it he http://www.123stitch.com/item/Barbar...-Pattern/C8809

lol that's amusing, and actually very sampler-like.