Old March 9th 17, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Default Wonder Clips and other random stuff

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 4:41:28 AM UTC-5, Brian Christiansen wrote:
On 03/08/2017 11:28 AM, Night Mist wrote:

Nowdays we have but one school and they offer everything you need to make a gi, including after class sewing sessions, because they require the students (I imagine exceptions for the littlest ones) to make their own.

It would be quite interesting to know the reasoning behind that
requirement.

No sewing machines, they sew by hand. I asked the guy I know in the class. He told me that it is an exercise in mind set, a meditation on patience, responsibility, and movement.
It is one of the schools where you start with Qigong. I know that may sound redundant, what I mean is they start you with Qigong and you do not get to move to the more martial practices until you have made sufficient progress.
Yeah, some of the people who took classes in hard disciplines are complaining about their lack of progress. Interestingly the people from the judo class at the YMCA seem to be doing rather well. So my guy tells me anyway, it's his first ever training. He was telling me about the training because I sew and do the ancient art silk weaving exercises (ba duan jin). I've been doing the exercises for quite a while so he thought I knew something about qigong. Actually I learned them from a friend who saw me sewing in tailor's posture, so I really do not know much about qigong. I just know they help shake the kinks out and seem to help keep new ones from forming.

NightMist