Old December 11th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Default On topic: an author who "gets it"

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message
I read this paragraph this morning, and immediately smiled and re-read it,
and re-read it again. Perfection!

"It was one of the pinafores Saffy had sewn when Merry first arrived, made
from a lovely piece of Liberty fabric ordered years ago, not because Saffy
had a project in mind, but because it was simply too beautiful not to
possess. It had languished ever since in the sewing cupboard, waiting
patiently for Saffy to find it a purpose. And now she had."

From "The Distant Hours", by Kate Morton (who also wrote "The Forgotten
Garden", which has been discussed in this forum). page 353.

The book is a Gothic novel about an eccentric English family in a castle
during WWII and the child who lived with them during the war, with a
parallel story set in the 1990s that continues the family saga a
half-century on with the daughter of the child they'd sheltered. (How's
that for a nutshell encapsulation?)

Hope I've whet your curiosity!

--
Susan Hartman

Thanks for the recommendation. I liked The Forgotten Garden a lot and was
thinking I should get this new one when I saw it. Now I will go ahead and
order it before I forget again.

Anything else you can recommend?

Lucille