Old February 12th 04, 12:46 AM
Kandice Seeber

I just posted a long post on the thread in wet canvas, that can address your
post here, so rather than typing it all again, I will be lazy

"Mary - no there are not two seperate groups. The gal who posted that we
should form our own group PMed me and let me know she was joking when she
posted that. I'm not joining any group, because I really don't agree with
some of the ideas, so I wouldn't fit. I don't think any group should have
the power to tell people how to run their businesses. Suggestions are fine,
but policing is not. People should feel free to do what works best for them.

I think Rita's post was well-intentioned, and parts of it were even really
cute and humorous. I think some of her ideas are great. However, she did
contradict herself somewhat when she suggested we have a price per hour
guideline (or any other pricing guideline, to "change the current pricing
trends in the beadmaking/selling community"), but then said later she didn't
want people telling her how to price her work. I am in agreement about not
liking a group of people telling me how to price my work, unless that group
of people are customers - at which point I may listen and I may take advice,
if it works for me.

I think forming a "union" or official group is misguided and would not get
you what you really want. I think educating the public on the differences
between handmade lampwork and mass-produced lampwork is great. I think there
are already groups out there that do this. ISGB, regional bead societies and
more.

However, if people want to form a group, more power to you! I just won't be
joining. I won't form my own group, or ask for factions, or try and work
against the group.

And Rita - I was afraid to post my views at first, because I have been raked
over the coals for doing so a couple of times before in other threads,
because my opinion was not in the majority. But this time I am glad I did,
because the response has been very positive. I've had numerous PM's from
people agreeing with me who have not posted in this thread. So there are
people reading who are not posting, but some do not agree with the nature of
the group. Also, keep in mind that many people who are reading and posting
here do not sell on ebay, so your quote below may not be entirely accurate.

Quote:
And as far as ebay goes with an average of 3,000 listings in the US lampwork
field that averages 5 auctions per seller for a total of approx. 600
sellers. Well this post has had over 1,000 views and nearly 100 posts. Which
means that 1/6 of the selling community agrees with properly valuing their
work and I see that as enough to effect a change. Not to mention how many of
the readers who didn't post may agree.
Unquote

Basically, what I am trying to say to everyone is that I applaud Rita for
what she is trying to do, because I can see that her spirit is positive.
However, before just jumping in, think about it for awhile. Aren't there
things we could all do on our own to improve our situations? Do we really
need a "group" which actually might foster a feeling of exclusion to some,
or can we make the best of the groups which are already out there?

Anyway, whatever the outcome, these are just my views, and I really don't
plan on changing the way I do things, because I am pretty successful on ebay
and on my website these days, and it's working for me."

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

My website is by far the best venue, though, but takes a lot more time

and
energy to run than my ebay presence. So I do both, and they average out

be very good.

This is great!!! When people work at it, then it can be a great system

for
them.

I don't
undervalue my work.

This was one of the points I was trying to make.

I work with the market to get the best prices I can
while giving buyers the highest quality, most pleasing beads I possibly

can.

YEAH!!!!!

Anyone with a little talent can do this if they work hard at it, and

listen
to their customers. People complain way too much and tend to think this

is
an easy way to earn lots of money, and think they can do so without much
effort.

I understand that. But also, some people don't know how to start, or how

find out the information. Sometimes it's "laziness" (i.e. let eBay sell

the
item for me. If I put it on there, it should automatically sell with
5million bids). I think part of this is not just "let's set prices" but

the
education, also. It's not just support of "aww, poor baby, you aren't
getting your prices, but you need to raise them". But support should also
be sharing of hints and help. But not specifically "Here's the formula

for
selling your items and making a million like I do". I agree with most
people when someone comes on here, and says "how do I sell, and where?".
There should be some research, and also, each area is different. But
guiding, and hinting is good. And there *are* "here's the formula" sites
out there! :-)

Well, there's my 2 cents +. Kandice, don't think you are ranting. You

are
giving an opinion. If we can work together, this is great! As I posted
over there, it's not so much a thing of price fixing/etc, but we need to
come up with a way to work together, and to value our work. No matter

what
level!

Mary

Anyway. Ranting again. Time to stop now before someone whacks
me with a tomato!!