Old March 4th 04, 01:05 PM
Christina Doucette

Hi Debbie,

I am a new quilter (since November 2003) too.

I walked into a quilting shop to purchase some thread for sewing clothing
and walked out with myself signed up for a 1 day quilting workshop the
following day. I had NO PLANS to learn to quilt. The bug caught me
somehow.

Let's just say, I no longer sew clothes. I love how quilting involves
mostly straight sewing. I hated making clothes with all the complex cutting
and ALOT of curves, etc.., but I LOVED to sew. Quilting was perfect.

I knew NOTHING of rotary cutters, or self healing mats, etc... and in that
one day workshop, I was able to make one pattern of quilt squares to make a
set of placemats....which of course I didnt do...I made them into a lap
quilt. You can see it in my webshots quitling folder labeled Grandma's Lap
Quilt.

I like workshops/classes. I can walk in and get help to develop good
quilting habits right away. I tend to learn bad habits that dont go away
very easily when I teach myself.

Apparently paper piecing is easy, but I am scared to even attempt it. I
dont learn well on my own. It looks sooo complicated to me. And I know
it's probably so easy, I'm just intimidated. So, I know how you feel.

You'll be fine and I have a feeling you will love it. If person, like me,
who said.."Quilting is NOT for me." Can walk into a quitling shop and
somehow end up taking a class and LOVE it. I'm sure that someone that
really wants to learn will be a natural!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted and please dont let intimidation get in your way. I'm gonna
take my own advise, I'm gonna try paper piecing TODAY! Promise!!!

--
Christina Doucette
http://community.webshots.com/user/christinark