Old September 16th 05, 07:38 PM
DKat

In reduction firings the celedon coloring in a true celedon comes from Iron
in the glaze. There are certainly clear glazes for reduction cone 10 and
I'm surprised the studio doesn't have any. They are typically used as liner
glazes. Can you post the ingredients in the glazes that are being used? If
so, it might be possible to tweak those glazes for what you want and you can
ask if they can make you up a small batch.

"5string" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I am new to the group so I don't know what questions have
been asked. Here's mine...

I've been making pottery at a community studio for the past 3-4 years.
This studio uses gas fired (cone 10) kiln and glazes. Recently, I've been
using a couple of different slips (dark blue, chrome green, etc...) and
covering them with nelson celedon. [The glazes are provided by the
studio. They also have an amber celedon and "g" celedon (which might
stand for green or ginny -- I am not sure, but it is more greenish than
the nelson celedon)].

So..., here is my question. Are there other clear/transparent high fire
glazes that will work over slips in a high-fired, gas kiln? I would like
to try different color slips, but want a glaze that is something lighter
and/or more transparent than the greenish/bluish color the nelson celedon.
(I should note, I have no control over the kiln because it is a community
kiln.)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Rick