Old November 15th 04, 05:27 AM
Pauline O'Connell

Well - I was using my walking foot, cause that's what I used to make my
first one (with cotton thread), so I changed to my applique foot & I can
stitch about 3 inches before the thread breaks. I lengthened the stitch,
but you really have to make 2 passes with the longer stitch. (Did I mention
that I'm using a satin stitch?)

I haven't tried cotton yet - but now that I've got this one started, I'm
sort of committed to finishing it in the rayon thread - if my spool holds
out! It was new when I started, but I've wasted so much in trying to get it
to sew properly!

If I can get this one finished, I will be trying out the cotton thread.

Still open to more suggestions!

Pauline
"taria" wrote in message
lengthen you stitch just a little bit and it might feed better.
Are you using an applique foot?
Taria

Pauline O'Connell wrote:
I'm ready to switch to cotton anyway, cause I'm so frustrated, so I'll

try
that in a little while. I'm also having trouble with the satin

stitching
bunching up on itself. You know where it keep stitching over & over in

the
same place! Doesn't she know I just want to get these things made!!
I'll keep you posted!

Pauline
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
link.net...

Okay, since it seems we're the only two up right now. What happens if

you
thread the SM with whatever you ordinarily stitch with? That is, is

that
particular spool of rayon thread causing a problem? Is stitching okay

if
you swap your needle thread over to plain old Coats & Clark or whatever

you

usually use? Could be your problem is something silly like your rayon

spool

wanting to be turned upside-down. Could be a fuzzy giblet in the needle
threading area. Check and see if it's the thread that's the problem or

the

Viking is unhappy. Mercy. An unhappy Viking could be serious. You know,
pillaging and looting and such. Polly

"Pauline O'Connell" wrote in message
y.com...

I changed my needle when the thread started breaking & it didn't

improve

the

situation. I've tried practice stitches on a bat sandwich & it still
breaks. Mostly it's the upper thread, but sometimes the bobbin thread
breaks as well. When I'm threading the machine, everything feels

smooth
until I thread the needle, then I can feel the tightness on the thread.
I checked the bobbin case. It doesn't roll out of it's case, but comes

out

slowly. It was too tight, but I loosened it earlier.
And you qualify as "real help". Thanks so much for responding. I'm

feeling

like I just need to use cotton, but I have so much rayon & it is nice

on

the

bowls!

Pauline
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

Just a quick question before real help arrives. Does all go well if

you

are

stitching with this thread on just two plain old thicknesses of

cotton?

That is, are you having trouble with your combination of bowl plus
stabilizer? Usually, the Viking #1+ can just do anything; maybe your

new

needle is defective (it happens). One more question. Take out your

bobbin

and bobbin case. Hold the bobbin and case assembled together carefully

over

your lap by the thread. Does it slide down very slowly, rapidly, not

at

all?

Polly

"Pauline O'Connell" wrote in message
gy.com...

Hope someone has some advise for me. I have a Viking #1+ & I'm

attempting

to make some fabric bowls, using rayon thread. My thread breaks

about

every

half inch that I sew. I've tried loosing the top tension & the

bottom

tension. I tried threading the thread through the hole in the

bobbin

casing. I'm using a new denim needle. What am I missing? Pleeease

.

.

.

Pauline