Old November 15th 04, 03:53 AM
Pauline O'Connell

I changed my needle when the thread started breaking & it didn't improve the
situation. I've tried practice stitches on a bat sandwich & it still
breaks. Mostly it's the upper thread, but sometimes the bobbin thread
breaks as well. When I'm threading the machine, everything feels smooth
until I thread the needle, then I can feel the tightness on the thread.
I checked the bobbin case. It doesn't roll out of it's case, but comes out
slowly. It was too tight, but I loosened it earlier.
And you qualify as "real help". Thanks so much for responding. I'm feeling
like I just need to use cotton, but I have so much rayon & it is nice on the
bowls!

Pauline
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
link.net...
Just a quick question before real help arrives. Does all go well if you

are
stitching with this thread on just two plain old thicknesses of cotton?
That is, are you having trouble with your combination of bowl plus
stabilizer? Usually, the Viking #1+ can just do anything; maybe your new
needle is defective (it happens). One more question. Take out your bobbin
and bobbin case. Hold the bobbin and case assembled together carefully

over
your lap by the thread. Does it slide down very slowly, rapidly, not at

all?
Polly

"Pauline O'Connell" wrote in message
om...
Hope someone has some advise for me. I have a Viking #1+ & I'm

attempting
to make some fabric bowls, using rayon thread. My thread breaks about

every
half inch that I sew. I've tried loosing the top tension & the bottom
tension. I tried threading the thread through the hole in the bobbin
casing. I'm using a new denim needle. What am I missing? Pleeease . .

..

Pauline