Old February 5th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,alt.sewing
lucille

Default knitting for bespoke tailoring?

"joyce" wrote in message
John wrote:
On Feb 2, 7:21 pm, wrote:
is it feasible to handknit an entire garment to an exact set of
measurements?

is it feasible to do "fittings" of thusly-knitted garment before
completion?

Most of the bespoke clothing, suits, and finely fitted higher end
clothes, are made with a lot of different padding and specialized
fabric underlayment pieces, I would think that it could be done, but
you would probably have to have a bit of knowledge about the uses of
that sort of sewing, to pull it off.
It might be a fun project to try for yourself, just to see what you
could do. Why not give it a try. Pick up one of the tailoring books
that are out there, and see if you can adapt what you do to that sort
of thing, and let that guide your choice of whether it might work for
you. Who knows, you may start a whole new "look".

John

I never tried it, but I know at one time fine knitting was done in pieces,
from which a pattern was cut for the garment, and the pieces stitched
together. It was soon after the finer home knitting machines became
common, and I haven't heard of its being done these days.

Joyce in RSA.

I once made a little tailored winter coat for a little girl that was made in
pieces and had interlining and lining. It was a project that needed lots of
time and effort, but it was really great looking. I never, ever attempted
anything like that again for the obvious reasons. Mind you, that was for a
little girl who didn't have the curvy figure of a grown up and the fit was
easier.

It was a long time ago but I remember that the lining was done on a sewing
machine, but the knitted parts were put together by hand.

Lucille