Old July 16th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Default Kiln God?

I really, really don't think having a pot blow up in the kiln is in anyway a
good sacrifice - in fact, I would consider it an insult to the gods. I
piece of cookie I could understand...

I have seen every sort of kiln god you can imagine. One of the studio's is
a fat naked lady with a big grin on her face. Mine is a dragon - a rather
tiny one but I like him.

I have never seen or heard of a sacrifice being made other than pouring a
bit of plum wine on the god during a group potluck firing and I'm not all
that sure the pour was intended as a sacrifice...

You might find this fun -

http://www.skutt.com/peepholeplug/pe...ggallery2.html

Donna

"Bubbles/Marianne" wrote in message
Hey everyone :-)

I want to make myself a kiln god. From the very limited information my
searches came up with, I read that the Japanese believe you must sacrifice
something to the kiln god in each firing. My idea is then to purposely
make a big air pocket in a little sculpture, and then fire it in the kiln.

Trouble with that idea is glaze kilns, as the bits can get into the glaze
on pieces.

Anyway, I am interested in more information on what a kiln god is. I have
seen many making dragons, but is that the only type of kiln god? What do
they mean? What do they embody? Ideas for mine?

Looking forward to input :-)

Marianne