Old July 16th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles/Marianne

Default Kiln God?

Hey everyone :-)

I want to make myself a kiln god. From the very limited information my
searches came up with, I read that the Japanese believe you must sacrifice
something to the kiln god in each firing. My idea is then to purposely make
a big air pocket in a little sculpture, and then fire it in the kiln.

Trouble with that idea is glaze kilns, as the bits can get into the glaze on
pieces.

Anyway, I am interested in more information on what a kiln god is. I have
seen many making dragons, but is that the only type of kiln god? What do
they mean? What do they embody? Ideas for mine?

Looking forward to input :-)

Marianne