Old March 30th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
NightMist

Default Hotrodding a Pfaff

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:19:30 -0700, Pogonip
wrote:

Pfaff 130s were being bought up by the carload to take to India and
environs to put in factories where the machines are run off a central
motor, so I doubt that the machine would have a problem with a bigger
motor. It's an all-metal, all-mechanical machine, so it will go as fast
as you can drive it - though you should slow down if it starts to glow
red. ;-)

You know those central motor factory set ups are why my dad's side of
the family thinks sewing professionally is a very dangerous buisness.
Though I am not quite sure why they keep repeating the sad tale to me
since all my machines have their very own motor, and it would take
some doing to kill myself on one save by the most bizarre mischance.

Apparently one of my great aunts was working in a factory like that
way back in the nineteen teens or twenties. The story goes that one
of her hairpins came out and when she stood up the loose lock got
caught in the overhead belt and yanked her right off her feet and
broke her neck.

I don't know how true that is. This is the same family that claims one
of my uncles drowned because he went swimming too soon after eating
and got a cramp. Actual witnesses to the event report that he went
boating while drunk, lost an oar, jumped in after it, and was too
drunk to swim. It was a Moose Club picnic so there were a LOT of
witnesses.

NightMist
Big family, gallons of whitewash
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.