Old March 30th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

Default Hotrodding a Pfaff

NightMist wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:04:09 -0400, "Ron Anderson"
wrote:

If you have the correct table to mount the industrial motor on then as long
as you keep it on the low speed and the machine oiled well you should be ok.
It is over kill however for a home sewing machine.
If your going that route no need to look into foot controls as it does not
use one.
On the other hand many folks use the 1.5 amp universal home motors and
coupled with an electronic foot control no heat build up.

DH tells me mounting should be a minimal issue.The current motor is on
a "universal mounting plate", and if the new motor doesn't like that
one, another more suitable one can be obtained.

I know the servo motors don't require a foot pedal, but I would want
one modded in, more or less an on off switch so I can start up with
both hands on the work when needed. I sew a lot of silk, and I sew a
lot of leather, and I sew a lot of long seams on both since I am doing
repeat work for a lady who wants 6 and 9 foot plus finished widths of
both. Both silk and leather are materials that you do not want to let
roam free when you are sewing acres of it at a go.
Since the leather is usually upholstery grade, running 5 to 8 ounce
weight, I want a little oomph when I need it. Which is why I was
looking at an industrial level upgrade. Besides when I work I work.
If I am putting in an 18 hour day on something or other, I do not want
to have to keep taking breaks to let the machine cool down. Bad
enough that I have to take breaks to keep my fingers from cramping or
to keep from hardening in postion at the machine! (G)

NightMist

I suggest you take Ron's counsel on this - the motor he's suggesting
would not likely overheat, as he says, and would give you everything you
want. Ron knows his stuff.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com