Old August 18th 03, 11:01 PM
Jay Adair

Thanks for the input. I have begun working on a pseudo-Tiffany panel, with
lots of wisteria flowers, leaves, stems, etc. and some lightly rippled
clearish glass in the middle section. I am hoping to have a Taurus when it
comes time to cut the clear glass so that I can minimize the number of
pieces needed...(seems like I always start with large pieces in the panel,
but as impossible cuts result in more and more breakage, the large piece
gets re-drawn into several smaller pieces and I wind-up with more seams in
the panel than I want - hopefully, the saw will let me make the clear glass
"vanish" from the panel, emphasizing the flowers, etc.)

Jay

P.S. - Does anyone else work like this.....cutting glass a piece at a time,
fitting it against what is already cut, without using a pattern? Kinda just
going with the flow and seeing where you wind up? I'm using clear sheets of
adhesive to hold the finished pieces of glass in place as I work, saving the
foiling for later....

"Gloria" wrote in message
om...
I've had a Taurus Ring Saw for about 4 years now, and my husband
bought a Diamond Lasar 5000 a couple of months ago. While the Taurus
Ring Saw will cut tile, it was far too slow for stone tiles, and posed
too great a risk to breakage of the blade. I haven't yet cut glass on
it, but will be trying this within the next week as I have some
otherwise impossible cuts to make, but may end up using the Taurus
instead. The diamond laser 5000 cuts thru the 1/4 inch thick tiles
(granite, slate, ceramic, travertine, it doesn't matter) like they
were soft butter. The cut is very small, and can do a 1/2 inch
diameter radius cut.

We love them both.

Costs:
- Taurus replacement blades - approx. $90
- Diamond Lasar 5000 - approx. $1000
so the Taurus Ring saw is much more reasonable.

Differences - Pros & Cons of each:
- Both are very noisy
- Both can get you somewhat wet, the Diamond Laser probably more so
- Size - both have a very large footprint, the Taurus is about half
the height
- Cutting ability:
- Taurus - can cut in any direction, so can make a "V" cut with
about a 1/8 inch radius (or slightly smaller) at the sharp end
- Diamond Laser - requires a 1/2 inch diameter radius cut for the
smallest, but can make multiple cuts to make a "V" or other shape.

I haven't had any problems with breakage or weak points/cracking,
except when trying to make a very narrow appendage.

I haven't needed to use a saw often, but they can be nice if you can
afford the expense. I also agree with the post concerning cutting
rippled glass, etc.

Good cutting,
GK