Old July 16th 04, 07:40 PM
Bert Gibson

Hi Kevin,
Sorry, if it were my glaze I would share, but it's not. It belong's to John
Hesselberth and Ron Roy. They asked that the recipes not be given out
because they published the book at thier own expense. They have a website
(masteringglazes.com) through which you can get it. Well worth the cost and
they have been more than generous when answering my questions. Also, "your
mileage may very" as they say. Though I followed thier formula and thier
firing schedule, my results were different then they showed in the book.

Regards,
Bert Gibson

Kevin Baldwin wrote:
Bert,
Just had a look at your site. Love the "Sky Blue" any chance of you
sharing the recipe with us all.
Kind Regards

Kevin.

"Bert Gibson" wrote in message
Hi dkat,

That's how I started. Frustrated with the firing results at school,
I bought an electric kiln and "MC6G". Before that I had never mixed
glazes or fired a kiln. It took alot of work and alot of trial and
error but I have finally started seeing it pay off. Since you
already have experience in glazes and firing, I am sure that you
won't have the amount of issues to overcome that I did. Check out my
site for some results and let me know what you think. Just keep in
mind I have only been potting for about a year and a half.

Bert Gibson
http://home.comcast.net/~lazybpottery/

"dkat" wrote in message
. ..
Just curious how people are doing on coming up with glazes without
Gertsley Borate. Does anyone have a favorite out of the "Mastering
Cone 6 Glazes" book? All of the glazes we use in the studio I have
worked in are based on the various Gertsley formulas. The glazes I
like are the Randy's Red, Honey, and the copper glazes that can't
be used on the inside of pots (Pennels with Erins green)...

I have just bought an electric kiln and have "Mastering Cone 6
Glazes" . I was schooled in reduction ^8-10 and am more than a tad
nervous about the whole endeavor of oxidation firings at cone 6.
To me even the Gertsley Borate glazes often look flat with
oxidation ^6. My favorite glazes that I learned on were Albany
slip with rutile oxide decorations, the iron based celadon when it
went blue sea green, and Shino. I do not want to carry on the
error of using GB. I'm working in a very small space and don't
really want to buy more that a half dozen bags of ingredients. In
any case I can't seem to kick start myself into beginning. I find
that even though I used to make up our glazes for reduction firings
that I don't know what silica to use for the base glazes out of
MC6G... We never used silica as the ingredient "Silica" and my
catalogs don't have anything listed in that form that appears to be
a glaze ingredient. Now I have given much more information that
anyone cares to read or is interested in..... Mostly I'm looking
for some kind of nudge to get me in gear.