Old July 16th 04, 01:50 PM
Bert Gibson

Hi dkat,

That's how I started. Frustrated with the firing results at school, I bought
an electric kiln and "MC6G". Before that I had never mixed glazes or fired a
kiln. It took alot of work and alot of trial and error but I have finally
started seeing it pay off. Since you already have experience in glazes and
firing, I am sure that you won't have the amount of issues to overcome that
I did. Check out my site for some results and let me know what you think.
Just keep in mind I have only been potting for about a year and a half.

Bert Gibson
http://home.comcast.net/~lazybpottery/

"dkat" wrote in message
. ..
Just curious how people are doing on coming up with glazes without

Gertsley
Borate. Does anyone have a favorite out of the "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes"
book? All of the glazes we use in the studio I have worked in are based

on
the various Gertsley formulas. The glazes I like are the Randy's Red,
Honey, and the copper glazes that can't be used on the inside of pots
(Pennels with Erins green)...

I have just bought an electric kiln and have "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes" .

was schooled in reduction ^8-10 and am more than a tad nervous about the
whole endeavor of oxidation firings at cone 6. To me even the Gertsley
Borate glazes often look flat with oxidation ^6. My favorite glazes that

learned on were Albany slip with rutile oxide decorations, the iron based
celadon when it went blue sea green, and Shino. I do not want to carry on
the error of using GB. I'm working in a very small space and don't really
want to buy more that a half dozen bags of ingredients. In any case I

can't
seem to kick start myself into beginning. I find that even though I used

make up our glazes for reduction firings that I don't know what silica to
use for the base glazes out of MC6G... We never used silica as the
ingredient "Silica" and my catalogs don't have anything listed in that

form
that appears to be a glaze ingredient. Now I have given much more
information that anyone cares to read or is interested in..... Mostly I'm
looking for some kind of nudge to get me in gear.