Old February 11th 04, 06:02 AM
KDK

I just read your reply on WC. I thought you did it very well. And you do
make some really good points. I too have mixed feelings about this whole
thing.

I don't yet sell beads, hope to one day. I do make pieces with lampwork
beads. I understand wanting to get full value for your work, but I feel
uneasy with the idea that "everyone" should do XXXXX. I know a beadmaker
that won't sell on ebay at all - to her that is undervaluing her work, so
she only sells at shows and galleries. If that works for her great, but for
some people ebay is what works.

One of the problems with selling art is that it is sooooo subjective. I've
gotten beads at what I thought was a steal, I've paid full value for some
beads, and I've probably over paid for others. To someone else what I
thought was a steal they may think is a fair price, etc.

I also understand that it's easy to undervalue your own work (still working
on that with my jewelry), and some may not even realize that they are doing
it.

Lots of shades of gray in this - it's surely not just black and white -
raise our prices and all will be well with the bead world.

Kathy K
"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
***sigh*** and I just posted a response over there. Time to go hide in

the
bunker. Why the hell am I a glutton for punishement? Seriously, I think I
bring up some good points, but that whole thread is so full of "Amen!"

"I'm
in!" "You go girl!"and "Me too" posts that I am afraid mine will not be

well
received.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I have mixed feelings about that whole thread. On the one hand, the
intentions are good, I am sure. The people are mostly nice, hardworking

and
well-intentioned. On the other hand, price fixing is illegal and

annoying.
I agree about pricing your things in such a way that it mirrors value

and
hard work. However, I don't agree with a huge group governing that, or
trying to control things. But I am pretty anti-government, so maybe

it's
just that. Or maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet today,

and
I am cranky.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Rita says:
"....when 1/2 of the market is undercutting themselves it has not only

trickle down effect but a landslide."

This is what I've always said. It's true, it affects all our sister

and
brother
beadmakers, jewelrymakers --- and artists as a whole population.

The way I said it recently was deemed unacceptable by some -- but I've

been
fighting for this for a long, long, long time. People just don't

listen
when
you say "Increase your prices, because it affects us all." I wanted

be
dramatic because the message doesn't get through people's heads, as is
evidenced by this thread on Wet Canvas. "The Beadmakers' Liberation

Front"?
Drama. You have to paint in bright colors for people to GET IT.
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your

jewelry."
John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links