Old July 11th 16, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

Default Twisted thread

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:58:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Hi. I'm a newbie. When I make a stitch it looks good as its being pulled
down thru the hole; then,just at the very last second, it twists back on
itself. I've tried everything suggested to make this stop. Anyone know
what in the world I'm doing? Thanks.

What have you tried? Usually it means you're unconciously putting a little extra twist
in the thread as you're stitching. Two ways to avoid it... drop the needle and let your
thread untwist and then make the next stitch, or get in the habit of rolling your needle
about 1/4 turn to the untwist direction as you take each stitch. Which direction you
need to roll the needle depends on if you're right or left handed, and if your
thread is S or Z twist. Threads meant for machine sewing are Z twist; many hand embroidery
threads are S twist.