Old April 2nd 19, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Hi, I am New to the group

On Monday, November 25, 2013 at 5:34:11 PM UTC+1, Sheila Street wrote:
My name is Sheila, hello everyone. I am also new to weaving and have a yarn question. I want to weave tapestries. What are some good yarns for the warp on wall hangings? Is wool the best yarn for warp and should it be 2 or 3 ply? Lasting can 100% wool for knitting be used as the warp. There is a yarn shop where I live but they have yarn for knitting and crochet, with no experience with weaving yarns. I am thinking if it is wool it is probably fine. I have read that Brown Sheep brand is good, has anyone used it?
Thanks for any help.
Sheila

Hello Sheila,
I am also new here just the other day in fact.
I see you are wanting to do tapestries, it depends a lot on what you want to do as to what wool to use.
I used chunky yarn on wall hangings and they turned out superb.
You can use DK if you use more than one strand if you are using a loom.
You can also do wall hangings without a loom and use a darning needle.
All best wishes.
Vicky.