Old October 2nd 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer

Default iridium tipped pen nibs

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:09:37 -0700, MatthewK
wrote:

I just posted this question to the metalworking newsgroup but thought
this might be a better forum after thinking things over more.

I would like to know how the tips of some fountain pen nibs get their
iridium. My copy of the Complete Metalsmith list some uses of the
platinum group, the relevant one is:

"plating on the tips of fountain pens for durability (especially
osmmium)"

Does anyone have an idea of how this is done?

I would assume they are electroplated.

Following McCreights hint and
the late Frank Dubiel (fountain pen repairer/restorer) I think the
nib tips were first melted into a ball then shaped and plated.

Is your question about the plating, or how the nibs are made?

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ